Friday, May 17, 2013

Living as "Foreign Talent" in Singapore

I would like to share the bitter sweet life for the whole 7 years that I have spent here. I've lived through the big changes and I really think within these 7 years span lie the turnover point in Singaporean lives.

I came on 2006. Life was good back then. The city was vibrant with life but less crowded. Less(er) malls, I could still see green grasses, empty fields where Indians used to have their picnics and crickets. I could still hop on the train and sit on empty train all the way from BoonLay to Changi. Morning near NTU would come with a cold fog over it. When PR applications were 100% approved, when foreign workers were mainly Indians, Indonesians, and Malaysians.

I think the horrendous crowds started pouring in on the year 2008. All the Chinese started to move in, as well as the Phillippines and Burmese. Then the train started to get crowded. Now, 2013, I couldn't find an empty train. Not even midnight!!! Now all nationalities started pouring in. Even those from Europe are starting to crowd the place as well.

I am a foreigner and I am feeling more and more uncomfortable by the days. Back then bus drivers still smile, taxis were affordable, and people were nicer. I totally understand why the Singaporeans protested. If I could I would protest too. My only mistake is that I didn't think I'd live here long enough to consider taking up PR. Now I partly regret it.

If you are a foreigner and married, making more than S$10000 a month in one household, you'll be more than happy here. Alas, with the good transportation, good hygiene system, good education, safe environment. The government will love you too, it'll be easier for you to get your PR provided that they still have quota for your race. If you are earning S$ 6000 a month in a household and your wife stays home to take care of the kids, and you have no liabilities back home, you'll be just fine and can still save up. If you are single and earning S$ 3000 you can save up enough.   If you are both working, have insurance to pay, house installment to pay, make sure your combined earning is more than S$ 6000 a month. If you have more than 1 kid going to school and you need a maid, being a foreigner I'd say you have to earn $7000-$8000. This is just rough estimates.

Companies here are pretty stingy, unless you get hired by big companies that is willing to pay for the whole family's medical expenses, vaccinations, etc. For most foreigners like me and husband, company don't pay for delivery fees, family's medical expenses, etc. THe company only pays for the employees, so I have one, husband has one. So we have to be money smart and save up for emergency situations. Paediatricians aren't cheap either. One consultation can cost $40-$80.  Electricity bills can go as high as $250 a month. Not to mention food materials that are getting more expensive by the days.

Most of us here don't live in luxuries like it seems. Especially if you have 2 young kids and a maid in tow. I don't have that much money to spare to shop at Zara, or H&M or uniqlo. Well once every 4 months maybe. I only go out to eat at restaurants once or twice a month. I don't buy things that are more than 40$, unless I have saved up for it.

I am struggling to save up with the current living cost. Alhamdulillah I could still save up for 1-2 short vacation to Batam or Malaysia a year. Plus 1 trip back home every year. So I'm not complaining.

I am just writing this regarding things that you need to consider before moving here. For you singles, I'd say just jump over here and work. For families, you need to do some calculations before signing that contract. Yes, this country does have its benefits as I have stated above. But remember, not everything is as good as it seems. I've been in this country too long I guess :D

No comments: