Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Happy Father's Day (Dedicated to my dad)

Everyone has special things about their dads that they cherish. Be it their kindness, their laugh, etc. What I remember about my dad is, he was always angry, and ending every fight that we had, he ended it with, "someday you'll be thankful because of this". Being the very stubborn teenager that I was, I hated that sentence, and always cursed in my heart, "what do you know of being young".

Being a parent now, a fully grown up adult. I found the thing that I hated the most, becomes the thing that I held on dearly. He was right, he was right most of the time.

I wasn't brought up in loving kindness. Where young women would say that their fathers adore them like princesses. I wasn't brought up as a princess. I was brought up as a soldier. I had drills, commands, warnings, trials, curfews, etc. And that brings me to where I am now.

Nevertheless, he actually didn't ask much of me. He didn't really mind that I wasn't first in class, or I got a bad grade for a subject, or I never won a single trophy in my life. He only wanted me to try my best. As long as I've tried, he didn't mind. For that, I was shaped to follow my own lead in life, to follow what my heart wanted me to be, not what others expected me to be, and to be really stubborn in getting what I want.

He was most curt in morals, courtesy, and attitude. His principal was, "good looks is worthless with no brain. Good looks, good brain, is worthless with poor moral and attitude". So that too brings me how I have become. I could care less of how I look, I care more about the world, that fascinates me, and what it means. And I struggled years to learn of proper attitude, and believe me, it is the hardest thing I have ever learned.

He taught me things that I thought were useless. Before I could ride a motorbike, he explained the functions of every single part of it. He opened his old car to explain parts of a car engine. He explained the mechanism of an aeroplane taking off and flies. Which at that time I dreaded sooo much. But now I realized that not all dads would take the time to teach their kids these.

He was not the most pleasant person to be around sometimes, due to his quick temper and unpredictable mood. Even so, he is a very wise and kind hearted person.
I honestly don't know how to behave around him sometimes, or to show him that I do appreciate every little thing that he had taught me. I too now understand that parents get angry because they are tired and confused and it wasn't something that they do out of spite.

So, happy father's day dad. I'm too shy to say it but do know that I love you so from the bottom of my heart.

No comments: